Skip to main content

Mountains to Sea Trail: Craggy Gardens to Douglass Falls

                                             

Sometimes unexpected adventures are the most exciting, in both the positive and negative sense of the word.

    When I decided to visit Douglass falls, a beautiful waterfall just outside of Asheville North Carolina, I expected to take the leisurely 1 mile hike from the access road below. Unbeknownst to me, though, my GPS had other plans. Instead of going to the access road, I found myself at the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway  at the alternate trailhead, which follows the Mountains to Sea Trail a steep 3.4 miles down the mountain to the falls. Naturally, I was doubtful about this route change since walking 3.4 miles straight down and then back up a mountain is not a part of my daily workout repertoire. But the thing is, the views from the trail were incredible and I just couldn’t help myself. I decided to go for it. Little did I know that the day's surprises were only just starting... 


Background

Douglass Falls is a dramatic 60 foot free falling waterfall in the remote Big Ivy area of Pisgah National Forest. This route starts at the top of Craggy Gardens on the Blue Ridge Parkway and follows a section of the Mountains to Sea trail for a rugged 3.4 miles down the mountain to the falls. As you hike, you will pass through different forests at each elevation, from the high elevation stunted tree landscape of Craggy Gardens to the thick old growth forest below. While this is a strenuous hike, I can’t recommend it enough for anyone interested in nonstop scenery and a high pay off challenge. 


Getting There

The drive to the trail head is an experience in and of itself. As you drive the Blue Ridge parkway, you will see almost continuous mountain vistas. The Craggy Gardens area is especially well known for its views of rugged terrain and unique plant life, and this is exactly where we’re headed. You can park at Graybeard Mountain Overlook to access the trailhead. What a place to start a hike:

From here, I hopped on the Mountains to Sea Trail and started off down the mountain.

The trail starts at 5,592 feet and passes through the iconic mountain ash, birch, and beech forests of Craggy Gardens. Because of the high elevation and harsh weather conditions, the trees here are much shorter than their lowland counterparts and develop into gnarled, twisted shapes. The angular shapes of the trees and soft fern carpet below make this section of the trail feel mysterious. As I walked I found myself in a state of shock that forests like this even exist outside of fantasy novels and fairy tales. 

As the trail drops in elevation it ventures into thicker, more lush forests. You will see old growth Hemlocks, towering Oaks, and a plethora of different wildflowers and forest-floor plants. This part of the trail also crosses several streams which are great when you want to take a rest break and cool your feet. 

The Falls

The first sign you will get that you are close to Douglass Falls is the sound of falling water echoing through the trees. Then, when you round the last corner, the falls seem to arise out of nowhere amidst the thick forest.

    There were several groups of people and even a dog hanging out around the falls. The nearby rocks are a great place to chill and take in the sights. One of my favorite thing about the Douglass Falls is that you can walk right up to the waterfall where it hits the shallow pool below.


The Ascent: outrunning a thunderstorm

I was feeling good when I started my journey back up the mountain. I had reached my destination, seen an awesome waterfall, and now I was in the home stretch. Kind of. About a mile into my ascent dark, heavy clouds started to roll in. I was still in the thick bottomland forest, but I could hear low thunder echoing over the mountaintops above my head. The wind started to pick up, and it was obvious that a storm was moving in. Since my car was parked at the top of the mountain, where the storm seemed to be gathering, there didn’t seem to be any chance of avoiding it. But I started to pick up my pace anyway, maybe I could outrun it. As I pushed farther up the mountain I stopped thinking about mileage. It was just me, flying up the stone steps, and the storm, sending sheets of light rain blowing across my mountainside. 

Every now and then, the trees would open up and I would see a view of the valley and mountainsides with dramatic clouds sweeping across them. Even in my out of breath, damp state, I couldn’t help being in awe of the power and beauty of storm and the mountains together. Storms transform mountains into a whole other world whose savage, seductive beauty can never be rivaled by sunny days. I was thinking about this when, unexpectedly, I crested the mountain and emerged into the parking lot. I was just in time to watch the clouds condense into a real storm from the comfort of my car. 


To see more cool places in Pisgah Forest, click here.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Guide: Grayson Highlands State Park

     Grayson Highlands State Park has long been a favorite of Appalachian outdoor enthusiasts. The park encompasses 4,502 acres of high elevation forests, mountain streams, and highland balds, and boasts a plethora of outdoor activities including hiking, bouldering, and horseback riding. With views for miles, a herd of wild highland ponies, and abundant wildlife, Grayson Highlands is a world all its own. The unpredictable highland weather and windswept slopes make Grayson Highlands feels like Virginia's version of Scotland.  Located in the beautiful, remote mountains of Southern Virginia, there is not much to do outside the park, but that's probably for the best because the park itself can keep any outdoor enthusiast busy for several days with its breathtaking beauty and many outdoor activities. Based on several days of extremely enjoyable field research, this is my personal guide to the best places to stay, hike, climb, and explore in Grayson Highlands State Park.  Background

Mary Ingelman and the Winnsboro SC Witch Trial of 1792

Heads up: this post contains descriptions of violence and potentially upsetting events. 

6 Edible Plants to Forage this Fall

     Fall is a great time for foraging. The bounty is really endless; fall fruit, nuts, herbs, and all kinds of other stuff. This list consists of a few of my favorite fall staples that I come back to year after year, with one or two new ones thrown in. I selected plants based on my experience in the Southeast, but most of these plants have a wider range from the Eastern US to worldwide. I have found most, if not all, of these plants in urban, suburban, and rural areas. Most of these plants are incredibly common, so keep your eyes open next time you are out and about and you might come home with a delicious fall harvest! Photo by  Inga Seliverstova  from  Pexels Persimmons     Persimmons are the holy grail of fall foraging. Juicy, tangy, free fruit; what could be better! Here in the Southeast, they ripen around September and slowly fall off the tree through winter. The easiest way to harvest persimmons is to simply gather them off the ground as they fall. A word to the wise here though