Skip to main content

A Night at Grayson Highlands

     I take the last bites of my dinner; a tortilla filled with whatever vegetables were left in my cooler, and finish it off with a coconut cookie. It's simple but satisfying. I'm settled on the tailgate of my car in the backpacker parking lot at Grayson Highlands State Park. As I look around, I see birds returning to their trees for the night, and watch the sunlight soften from the bright rays of noon to the ambient glow of evening. There is a pleasant buzz of energy in the lot this evening as other backpackers mill around, preparing their gear and organizing their groups to set out for the night. I hop down from the tailgate and turn my attention to my own pack. It's time to get ready. 

    I have been looking forward to sleeping on the Appalachian Trail here for a while now. My plan is to hike a mile over the gorgeous balds of Massie Gap to some campsites right outside the boundary of Grayson Highlands. Everyone I've talked to says the sites are wonderful, and based on my foray to Massie Gap earlier today, I know that the area is achingly scenic. I pack a simple bag for the night: tent, sleeping bag and pad, phone, flashlight, and my favorite hoodie. The pack has a pleasant weight as I settle it onto my shoulders. It's like I can feel it grounding me; pushing my feet into the earth below me so I don't drift away into the sky. 

    The trail starts out in a mossy, shaded hemlock grove below the balds. I follow the path over knarled roots and through patches of soft, silty soil that feel cool and comfortable on my feet. The trees are massive and silent, and even the air feels ancient in the damp understory. Bit by bit, the trail slopes upwards to ascend the mountain and the trees thin out. As I emerge from the forest onto the open meadows of Massie Gap, I pass a wild pony grazing in the grass. It looks up at me with liquid eyes, then snorts and returns to its dinner. They see humans every day, so I guess I'm no big news. I follow the trail up to the gap. It's like a saddle of earth in between two pinnacles. Everything is covered with grass and rhododendrons, with the occasional copse of knarled hemlock trees. The peaks on either side of me are crowned with rock outcroppings that jut out of the ground and point to the sky like avant grade jewelry pieces. 

    Up here on the balds, the air is always moving. A breeze wafts from the East and whistles through the rhododendron thickets and grass. It picks pieces of my hair and tugs them across my face. As I walk across the high ridge exposed to the air, my skin feels burnished bright by evening sun and highland wind. There are a few low hanging clouds behind the ridge, and I can feel the air hum with the rumble of distant thunder. I continue down the trail and leave the last few hikers behind. As the noise and color of other people fade away, the quiet presence of the land floats to the front of my mind. 

    I pick a clearing on the side of the meadow for my campsite. The back and sides are sheltered from the wind by earth and trees, and the front opens to thin air and mountain views. It feels good to set my pack down, making my body light like a cloud. I inspect the ground for any rocks that would disturb my sleep, then unroll my tent and start the meditative process of constructing my shelter for the night. It is a routine that I know well. First pole here, second pole there. Bend the poles one at a time and attach them in perfect balance so it doesn't collapse. Every step crystalized into effortless muscle memory after countless repetitions, as if the tent is raising itself into being without my help. 

    Once the tent is set up, with my sleeping bag waiting inside, I sit in the opening and slip off my shoes. The sky in front of me is streaked with red and gold. As the sun reclines, it sends beams of light and shadow shooting across the valley. Behind me clouds still rumble, and every now and then distant lightning lights up the sky. The soft sounds of thunder prick up the hairs on the back of my neck and soothe me at the same time. As though it woke up some ancient human part of me who has been here many times before, who knows what thunder and sunset means, what it is to spend your life outside, where the only choices are to fight the elements or befriend them. This is the part of me, crystalized by centuries of storms, that insists it is always better to befriend the world. You can only fight your home for so long, but at some point you must come to a rest. I am thankful, in this moment, to know that I am friends with the world. It makes it easy to drift off to sleep, with the thunder and mountain breeze keeping me company. 


Comments

  1. Very moving! Thanks for sharing this experience with the rest of us...blessing us too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Guide: Grayson Highlands State Park

     Grayson Highlands State Park has long been a favorite of Appalachian outdoor enthusiasts. The park encompasses 4,502 acres of high elevation forests, mountain streams, and highland balds, and boasts a plethora of outdoor activities including hiking, bouldering, and horseback riding. With views for miles, a herd of wild highland ponies, and abundant wildlife, Grayson Highlands is a world all its own. The unpredictable highland weather and windswept slopes make Grayson Highlands feels like Virginia's version of Scotland.  Located in the beautiful, remote mountains of Southern Virginia, there is not much to do outside the park, but that's probably for the best because the park itself can keep any outdoor enthusiast busy for several days with its breathtaking beauty and many outdoor activities. Based on several days of extremely enjoyable field research, this is my personal guide to the best places to stay, hike, climb, and explore in Grayson Highlands State Park.  Background

Mary Ingelman and the Winnsboro SC Witch Trial of 1792

Heads up: this post contains descriptions of violence and potentially upsetting events. 

6 Edible Plants to Forage this Fall

     Fall is a great time for foraging. The bounty is really endless; fall fruit, nuts, herbs, and all kinds of other stuff. This list consists of a few of my favorite fall staples that I come back to year after year, with one or two new ones thrown in. I selected plants based on my experience in the Southeast, but most of these plants have a wider range from the Eastern US to worldwide. I have found most, if not all, of these plants in urban, suburban, and rural areas. Most of these plants are incredibly common, so keep your eyes open next time you are out and about and you might come home with a delicious fall harvest! Photo by  Inga Seliverstova  from  Pexels Persimmons     Persimmons are the holy grail of fall foraging. Juicy, tangy, free fruit; what could be better! Here in the Southeast, they ripen around September and slowly fall off the tree through winter. The easiest way to harvest persimmons is to simply gather them off the ground as they fall. A word to the wise here though